Sunday, June 19, 2011

The lowest point on Earth, the highest point of my emotions

     The Dead Sea is the lowest point on Earth and the saltiest sea in the world (10x saltier than the oceans to be exact) and I was there. I got to swim in the Dead Sea. How awesome is that? It’s pretty awesome. The feeling of the water is so indescribable. It is similar to swimming in like baby oil, but in a good way. I really can’t describe it. It is just something you have to experience for yourself. One piece of advice I can give is to make sure that no matter what you do, do not ever get that water in your eyes… it might just be one of the most painful things one can endure. Also, the water tastes really bad so don’t get it in your mouth either. Another really weird experience that came out of the water at the Dead Sea was that it got in my ears and was, well, really odd. I felt like my ears were, well, popping and like bubbling. I know how weird that may sound but that’s what was happening.
     After that we went to a wadi. Wadis are like little rivers or creeks that lead to the Dead Sea. The only difference between a wadi and a creek are the wadis run though massive canyons. We went to Wada Mujib which I was told is the 2nd most well known in the area next to Wadi Rum. The only way to describe Mujib is BREATHTAKING in every sense of the word. It was an amazing hike up the creek until we came to the first rapid. There was a small water fall only like 12 feet high and we had one rope and seven people. It was pretty dangerous, but it was no big deal for a master hiker like me, cough cough. Let’s just say it was a tad bit of a struggle for me, but it was definitely worth it.
    
My classes have been going pretty well. My spoken class is great and I really think I am picking it up pretty well. Classical on the other hand is a whole different ballgame. Kirby and Laura are picking it up really quick, I mean they are leaving me in the dust with classical. But I feel like I am doing really well with spoken and that’s a good thing, but I am learning so much about the language and the cultures of this place; I love it. I miss everyone back home so much, but I don’t want to leave this place yet. I just can’t. I feel like the culture is pulling me in and it won’t let go and you know I don’t want it to, not yet at least.  I know, I know, I should have much more to say, but hey I'm a very busy person. I am thinking maybe more posts, but shorter in length. Oh well, I don’t know, but I am loving life here and I only wish everyone I know could be here with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment