Friday, June 3, 2011

Introduction

     Mahabra! That's hello in Arabic and, unfortunately, about all of the Arabic that I currently know. Normally this would not be a big deal, but I am going to spend ten weeks in a country that speaks Arabic: Amman, Jordan.
     My name is Logan. I am a 6'2'', white, curly blond-haired, and blue-eyed boy from New Richmond, Ohio and I am going to Amman, Jordan to study and learn the language and cultures of the Middle East. I understand that I am by no means going to "fit in" in Amman. I'll actually stick out like a sore thumb, but that's alright. There's not much I can do about that.
     Why am I doing this? Most of the people that I have told about my trip get this surprised look on their face and say, "Why in the world are you going there?" For me, the answer is pretty simple. That question alone is the reason why I am going. There is such a negative connotation towards everything in the Middle East in America and I hope to change that. Every time that I would hear an anti-Middle Eastern statement it was made more clear to me why I was going there.
     I am posting this blog to keep my friends, family, and anyone else who might be interested informed on what I am doing over here. I hope at some point to have some social commentary on the people and the culture here in Jordan. Really though, I am using this as an online journal to chronicle my everyday activities and to get whatever thoughts that might be running through my head out.
     Also, I won't have the best Internet access while in Jordan. So if my posts don't show up everyday, I'm sorry. I'll do my best to get something posted everyday while in Amman, but I can't make any promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment